When playing, it is best that you have incredibly reliable instruments that you both enjoy playing and do what you want them to do. I have tried many different Clarinets, and find that I now have a setup that works well for me, though I am of course always looking to expand and improve my collection.
Bb Clarinet: Buffet Divine
A Clarinet: Buffet R13
Bass Clarinet: Buffet Prestige (Low C)
Bb / A Mouthpiece: Vandoren B45
Bb / A Ligature: Rovner 1R
Bass Clarinet Mouthpiece: Vandoren B40
Bass Clarinet Ligature: Vandoren LC24P
Reeds of choice: Vandoren V12, V21 – 3
‘Triple-Clarinet’ Stand: Hercules DS543BB
Bass Clarinet Stand: Hercules DS561B
Reed Case: Large, made of Rosewood – glass on inside
Over the past few years, I have had a lot of experience with ensemble performance, particularly in orchestral form. This started primarily in 2016, but has grown to be a much more significant part of my life since.
Principal Bass Clarinet
Founded in 1951 as Merseyside Youth Orchestra, Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Orchestra enjoys a reputation for high quality performances and excellent opportunities for its players. The Orchestra performs throughout the year at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall and across the region.
Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Orchestra alumni have gone on to study at top conservatoires, and play in the finest professional orchestras across the world, including Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Some members of Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Orchestra also play with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and attend leading music institutions, including RNCM and LIPA.
LPYO have performed a variety of works from a selection of different styles, including Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony, Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite (1919), Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra and Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.
St. Mary’s Orchestra was founded in 2016 by Conductor and Director Bedwyn Lloyd-Philips, and is made up of musicians from different orchestras around northern England and Wales.
The orchestra made its debut performance in September 2017, performing Beethoven’s Egmont Overture, Schubert’s Symphony No. 4 “Tragic” and Mozart’s Flute and Harp Concerto. The orchestra puts on performances semi-annually in Mold, North Wales.
Clarinet / Bass Clarinet
Junior RNCM Chamber Orchestra
The Junior RNCM provides expert tuition and specialist training for children and young people (aged 8-18) with exceptional musical ability.
Students receive highly specialised musical training without disturbing the balance of their weekday education and the normality of family life, while enjoying the benefits of making music with others of similar talents and aspirations. Junior RNCM operates on Saturdays during term time between 9.30am-4.30pm.
A very high percentage of our students go on to study music at conservatoire or university, whilst a small number continue with higher education in other disciplines, greatly enriched by their Junior RNCM experience.
The atmosphere in the Junior RNCM is welcoming, stimulating and purposeful and we place great emphasis on promoting a safe and caring environment for our students.
- Concerto for Orchestra (Bartok)
- Egmont Overture (Beethoven)
- Les Francs Juges (Berlioz)
- (Symphonic Dances from) West Side Story (Bernstein)
- Marche Hangraise, from the Damnation of Faust (Berlioz)
- L’Arlesienne Suite No. 2 (Bizet)
- An American Overture (Britten)
- The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra – Variations on a theme by Purcell (Britten)
- Appalachian Spring (Copland)
- Rodeo (Copland)
- Cello Concerto (Elgar)
- In The South (Elgar)
- Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin)
- Three Dances for Orchestra (Gorecki)
- Symphony No. 1 (Mahler)
- Bolero (Ravel)
- Overture to The Barber of Seville (Rossini)
- Symphony No. 3 “Organ” (Saint-Saens)
- Symphony No. 4 “Tragic” (Schubert)
- Festive Overture (Shostakovich)
- Firebird Suite, 1919 (Stravinsky)
- Light Cavalry Overture (Suppé)
- Symphony No. 5 (Tchaikovsky)
- English Folk Song Suite (Vaughan-Williams)
- Sonata for Clarinet and Piano (Bernstein)
- Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra (Finzi)
- Five Bagatelles for Clarinet (Finzi)
- Hommages (Kovacs)
- Czardas for Clarinet and Piano (Monti)
- Clarinet Concerto (Mozart)
- Sonata for Clarinet and Piano (Poulenc)
- Sonata for Clarinet and Piano (Saint-Saens)
- Fantasy Pieces (Schumann)
- Three Pieces (Stanford)
- Clarinet Concertino (Weber)
- Clarinet Concerto No. 1 in F Minor (Weber)